The Monroe Federal Building and Courthouse at 201 Jackson Street sits in the downtown Monroe Historic District, on the National Register of Historic Places — an Art Deco limestone landmark beside the St. Matthew steeple.
Built in 1933 by the Works Progress Administration, the four-story, 45,000-square-foot structure was raised with A-model vehicles hoisting sandstone, brick, and mortar. Its original plaster interior walls have largely been replaced with gypsum wallboard.
Working under Hensel Phelps, Durwood self-performed cold-form framing, gypsum board assemblies, acoustical ceilings, and painting across 35,000 man-hours inside the occupied historic landmark.
